Learn why Ridgewater is right for you!Request Information
Agriculture Careers Information Session
- Agri Business (Now on campus and online)
- Agricultural Science & Technology (Ag Education & Ag Transfer)
- Agriculture Power & Equipment Technician
- Agronomy Applicator Technician
- Agronomy Technology
- Dairy Management
- Farm Operation & Management
- Meat Cutting
- Poultry Management
- Precision Agriculture
February 21 | 2:00 – 3:30 pm | Willmar Campus
About the Program
Meat cutters are critical team members in the process that moves agricultural animal assets to satisfied consumers’ tables. Who’s hungry?
As a leader in agricultural education, we’re excited to offer a new Meat Cutting Certificate in Fall 2022 and are now accepting applications.
Coursework will be online while skills applications will include in-person, off-campus labs at licensed partner facilities. In just one semester, you will gain confidence in:
- Meat cutting equipment use and procedures
- Food safety
- Direct farm marketing
- Livestock and poultry slaughtering and processing
- Advanced meat processing fundamentals
Students will also choose one of two electives: wild game animal processing or introductory animal science. You must be at least 18 years of age to enroll in this program. Lifting is required.
Program Requirements and Job OutlookBeginning Meat Cutting
- Online classroom, with asynchronous delivery for maximum flexibility
- In-person, off-campus labs, with labs done at a facility near the student, if available (we partner with student to identify location close to home or near campus)
- Labs include 16 hours of hands-on practice each week
- Fall and spring semester starts, with ability to start anytime during the academic year
- Classes run in 4-week blocks
- Flexible blended delivery with online courses and in-person labs
- Hands-on education
- Real-world experience through licensed partners near you
- Ability to take full certificate or individual courses
Retirements of small-town butchers and growing shortages of meat processing workers due to the pandemic have elevated the need for training more meat cutters.
Meat cutters can earn between $16.00-$27.75 per hour. The demand is expected to grow at a rate of 2.4% for the next 10 years.
Ridgewater Meat Cutting graduates will enter the workforce as entry-level meat cutters, working in production facilities or butcher shops. With experience, graduates can advance or pursue additional training for more advanced processing or entrepreneurial challenges.
Degrees and Certificates
Meat Cutting Certificate – 18 credits
- Advanced Meat Processing Certificate – 18 credits
- Meat Cutting & Processing Entrepreneur Certificate – 18 credits