Prepare Your Scholarship Application
The Ridgewater College Foundation uses a universal online scholarship application – one app ties you to awards you are eligible for. The app is typically open from Mid-September to November 1st for Spring awards and Early March to June 1st for Fall awards. A button to the scholarship application will be available on the Ridgewater Scholarships page when the app is open.
When the scholarship application is not open, use the resources on this page to get a jump start on your application content. You’ll be able to copy and paste your answers into the app when it opens.
Written Response Questions – Get Started Early
Our application asks a variety of written response questions. It’s important that you answer these thoughtfully as they are used to score your application. Use a Microsoft Word Document or the template below to get started on answering the written response questions. Save this document and when the application opens you can copy and paste your answers into the online application.
What’s on the Application?
Written Response Categories & Questions
- Why did you choose to attend Ridgewater College?
- Why did you choose your program of study?
- After completing your education, what do you hope to do for your career (i.e., what kind of job do you hope to have)?
- If NOT employed, answer N/A. If you currently have a job, please provide the employer’s name, your job title, and a brief description of your duties.
- The following words or traits are employers use to describe their best employees: collaborative, detail-oriented, honest, passionate, hard-working, reliable, punctual (being on time), and following directions. Give an example of how you have demonstrated one or more of these traits in your work, school work, or activities.
- Community Involvement
- Please list any community or volunteer activities you have been part of in the past 3 years and include any leadership roles you held.
- Personal Story
- Describe how your upbringing/family has impacted your life:
- Describe any significant events in your life that have influenced you and your personal, educational, and/or career goals:
- Describe any obstacles or hardships that you have experienced or are working to overcome:
- Explain how a scholarship will impact you. How will it help you meet or overcome the hardships or barriers that you are facing?
- Why should our donors be proud to invest in your education?
- Financial Need/ Paying for College
- Please explain how you plan to pay for college tuition, fees, books, etc.
- Describe any challenges you are facing with paying for your college education
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Tell us about a time when you’ve taken steps to ensure that everyone in your class, on your team, or in your organization felt included. Describe the situation, the actions you took, and the outcome.
- OR Tell us about a time when you were not included or felt that your voice was not heard. Describe the situation, actions you took, the outcome, or what could have been done to remedy that situation?
- Other Information
- If there is any additional information you wish to add to your application, please use the space here to do so, if NOT, answer N/A: (OPTIONAL)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
The online application allows students to request up to (2) letters of recommendation via email. Recommenders submit their recommendations electronically; the letters are automatically attached to the student application. Recommendations are encouraged but not required. Students need to know the email address of the person they are requesting to initiate the request for a letter of recommendation.
Other Questions and Information
- Multiple Choice / Drop-Down Questions
Before applying for scholarships, you will want to make sure your college information is up to date in e-services. This will help ensure you’re tied all of the scholarships you’re eligible for. Student Services can help you verify your information make changes if needed.
In addition to using college information to connect you with scholarships, the application will ask a series of multiple choice and drop-down questions related to requirements for specific scholarships.