New Student Assessment (Accuplacer Test)
Prior to scheduling your Accuplacer test, you must apply and be accepted to Ridgewater College. The only exception is College in the Schools students who’ve been notified that testing is required.APPLY HERE
Once you receive your acceptance letter with the required student ID number, please schedule your appointment using the link to your campus below if your letter indicates the Accuplacer is required.
The Accuplacer assessment is designed to assess your current academic skills in reading and math. Your assessment results will help you and your advisor in selecting courses most suited to your educational goals.
Hutchinson Campus Accuplacer Schedule
(Subject to Change)
Wednesday: 9:00 am and 1:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am and 1:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am
Willmar Campus Accuplacer Schedule
(Subject to Change)
Monday: 1:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I required to take the Accuplacer assessment?
The Accuplacer assessment is required for:
- All associate degree seeking students registering for credit-based English and Math courses
- Returning or transfer students who have not taken the Accuplacer assessment or completed college-level English or Math courses
- High school seniors enrolling in College in the Schools program who do not have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 – 2.59
You may be exempt from the Accuplacer assessment if you submit any of the following:
- Accuplacer scores from another institution (reading valid for 5 years, math is for 2 years)
- ACT Reading scores of 21 or higher, (scores valid for 5 years)
- ACT Math scores of 22 or higher, (scores valid for 5 years)
- MCA Math scores of 1148 or higher, (scores valid for 5 years)
- SAT ERW scores of 480 or higher, (scores valid for 5 years)
- SAT Math scores of 530 of higher, (scores valid for 5 years)
- Cumulative high school GPA of 2.6 (for English placement)
- Cumulative high school GPA of 2.8 and successful completion of Algebra II with a C- or better (for Math placement)
- Official college transcripts with college-level English or Math courses with a “C” or higher
- You earned an Associate or Baccalaureate degree from a U.S. College or University
***Email official Accuplacer, ACT, SAT or MCA scores to [email protected]
- Do I have to take the assessment at Ridgewater or can I take it somewhere else?
Students who plan to attend Ridgewater College but want to take the Accuplacer at another College or University or Online need to follow these steps:
- Apply to Ridgewater and receive your Ridgewater Student ID
- To take your Accuplacer at another college or university: contact Amy Mathews at [email protected] to help you find an applicable testing center closest to your residence and have an Accuplacer voucher created. Proctor fees may apply, which you are responsible to pay.
- To take your Accuplacer Online: The Online Accuplacer is given in by the virtual proctoring company Examity. You are required to have a high-speed internet connection, a webcam, and a quiet, undisturbed testing environment. Please contact Amy Mathews at [email protected] to have a voucher created for online testing. Proctor fees of $25 apply, which you are responsible to pay.
- Once an Accuplacer voucher is created you will receive an email containing the voucher number and instructions for using the voucher.
- How do I prepare for the Accuplacer assessment?
We strongly encourage you to prepare for your Accuplacer assessment by reviewing study materials and sample questions for the Next-Generation Accuplacer at:
Which math assessment will I be taking?
Everyone is required to take the Next Generation Accuplacer Advanced Algebra & Functions (AAF) assessment. Depending on how you answer the background question: “What is the highest level of math class you have completed?” You may also be required to take the Arithmetic portion of the Accuplacer.
Which reading assessment will I be taking?
Based on your answers to the background questions: “Have you taken ESL/ELL classes in high school?” and “Have you received English language support outside of school?” You may take the Next Generation Reading test or the Accuplacer ELL/ESL Reading test or both.
- Bring a photo ID with to your assessment appointment.
- Get plenty of rest and eat properly before the Accuplacer.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your Accuplacer appointment.
- Please make sure you understand the directions before the assessment.
- What will I be assessed on? How long does the Accuplacer take?
What will I be assessed on?
Reading: you will be asked to read a passage and then answer several questions about the passage.
Mathematics: you will be assessed on your understanding of arithmetic through problem-solving. Skills in operations of whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages. Ratios, measurement, and geometry. No handheld calculators allowed.
How is the Accuplacer administered?
You will take the Accuplacer assessment using a computer. No prior computer skills are required. A testing proctor will be present if you need assistance.
How long does the Accuplacer assessment take?
The Accuplacer assessment is not timed. The average student requires 2-4 hours to complete. Please allow yourself plenty of time to take the assessment so you don’t feel rushed. Remember this is your first step in achieving your educational goals!
- Can accommodations be made for students with a disability?
Ridgewater offers accommodations for the Accuplacer assessment for students with a documented disability. The Accuplacer assessment is not timed and is offered in a physically accessible testing center. If you require other accommodations for the test, please call 320-234-8650 for the Hutchinson campus or 320-222-8040 for the Willmar Campus. There is no fee for this service.
- Can I retake the Accuplacer?
The Accuplacer assessment is meant to indicate your current skill level – not your potential. The scores you receive are used to place you into the appropriate Math and English courses based on your abilities. You may retake the Accuplacer one time within a two-year period. Any retests beyond this must first be approved by an Academic Advisor. There is a $10 Retest Fee, payable before you retake the Accuplacer.
- What should I bring to my Accuplacer assessment appointment?
You must bring a valid photo ID. Your ID should have your name and a recognizable photo. Acceptable ID’s include current and valid:
- Driver’s License
- State-approved or federal ID
- Military ID
- Middle or High School ID
- College ID
- Tribal ID
Notebooks, dictionaries, calculators or other papers of any kind (except for scrap paper provided by the assessment administrator for use with the math tests) are not allowed in the room. Anyone who gives or receives help during the assessment, or uses notes or books of any kind, will not be permitted to continue. Following the assessment, no materials or notes may be removed from the room. Your college may cancel any score if there is reason to question the validity.
Scores and the information provided when taking the assessment will be used by the college for counseling and placement purposes. It may also be used by Ridgewater and the College Board or Educational Testing Service for research purposes. Your information will not be used for any other reason without your permission. If the data is used for research purposes, special precautions will be taken to ensure that your identity is kept confidential. Any data received by ETS will be held for no more than three years. If you have any questions about the confidentiality of the data you have provided or about your test scores, see the College’s assessment administrator.