Radium Girls to open on the Ridgewater stage November 3
October 20, 2022
The Ridgewater College Theatre will present “Radium Girls” by D.W. Gregory at the Willmar campus on November 3, 4 and 5 at 7:30 p.m.
In 1926, radium was a miracle cure, Madame Curie an international celebrity, and luminous watches the latest rage—until the girls who painted them began to fall ill with a mysterious disease. Inspired by a true story, Radium Girls traces the efforts of Grace Fryer, a dial painter, as she fights for her day in court.
“I’m excited to finally bring this show to the Ridgewater stage,” said Matt Hegdahl, Ridgewater College Theatre Director. “It’s a fascinating story about the struggles these women went through to have their ailments recognized and to get the justice they deserve. Science is an ever-evolving field of study, and this play is a great example of how we have progressed and improved our understanding of the world over the last 100 years.”
Grace Fryer is played by Averi Linn (Willmar) and Rae Schallenkamp (Salem, SD) plays the idealistic former employer Arthur Roeder. Jennifer Campos (Hutchinson) plays fellow Radium Girl Kathryn, with Corin Gauer (Willmar) playing multiple roles, including Radium Girl Irene, Miss Wiley, Mrs. Michaels, a Board Member and a Photographer. The rest of the cast and crew includes:
- Gavin Johnson (New London) – Tom, Reporter, Knef, Venecine Salesman
- Hope Taylor (Hutchinson) – Madame Curie, Mrs. Roeder
- Elizabeth Hanson (Milan) – Harriet, Customer
- Acacia Banken (Willmar) – Society Woman/Stage Manager
- Heidi Imker (Lamberton) – Shop Girl
- Daisy Cardenas (Willmar) – Customer
- Liz Thompson (Kerkhoven) – Board Member
- Peggy Karstens (Willmar) – MacNeil
- Azure Staab (Willmar) – Clerk
- Holly Tavary (Hutchinson) – Sob Sister, Mrs. Fryer
- Naw Refineclovth (Willmar) – Board Member
- Hayden Saulsbury (Kensington) – Bailey, Lee, Lovesick Cowboy
- Sufy Habri (Willmar) – Court, Drinker
- Dylan Nuebel (Northfield) – Male Shopper
- Kylee Dickmann (Sauk Centre) – Markely
- Skai Heim (Montevideo) – Berry, Martland, Flinn
- Kaleb Krupa (Spicer) – Store Owner
- Sarah Marcus (Prinsburg) – Widow
- Anton Switajewski (Brainerd) – Von Shochocky
- Vestal Hewerdine (Carbondale, IL) – Properties Manager/Assistant
General admission tickets are $5 at the door on the day of the performance. Ridgewater employees and students enter free. Productions are on the Willmar campus in the Fine Arts Building theater. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
For more information or a campus map, go to www.ridgewater.edu/theater.