Learn why Ridgewater is right for you!Request Information
Healthcare Administrative Assistant Program
Want a career in healthcare without seeing a drop of blood? Healthcare administrative assistants, sometimes called medical office assistants, could be your answer to a rewarding healthcare career in two years or less. Need a medical appointment or test? Call the scheduler. Have a question on your bill? Contact the patient account representative. If you are a detail-oriented, multi-tasker who enjoys working with all kinds of people and adapts well to an ever-changing environment, Ridgewater’s Healthcare Administrative Assistant program could be calling you to health care!
Program Requirements and Job Outlook
- Fall and spring starts
Skills you will learn
- Medical and financial record preparation and maintenance
- Medical terminology, from anatomy and physiology to pharmacology and pathophysiology
- Appointment scheduling and coordination
- Customer service in person and via phone
- Health insurance and medical-legal responsibilities
- Office correspondence and reporting
Administrative, healthcare professionals are the helpful first-stop, front lines of many healthcare facilities. Ridgewater’s Healthcare Administrative Assistant program can train you to enter the field as a confident receptionist or scheduler, but prepare you to advance to a clinic office manager, supervisor or specialist who focuses on just one or two doctors and their practice. Employment demand is so strong from organizations that seek our graduates that some students have jobs before they wear their caps and gowns! Many students work part-time while attending school and then reap the rewards for their work by getting hired full time. That’s a great feeling!
Program attributes that help students thrive
- Small class sizes for personal faculty-student interaction
- Mock office settings = hands-on experiences
- Active Business Professionals of America club for competitions, networking, and activities
- Varied class formats, from traditional classroom to online and blended
- Confidence-building internships and networking with strong community partners
- Commitment to current, business software
- Industry-experienced instructors are current with industry practices
Healthcare administrative assistants work in clinics, hospitals, dental or chiropractic offices, and many other employers. They are the team members who connect patients with the health care they need. Make a difference with your team – solidify your healthcare skills for whatever opportunity comes your way!