​​Concurrent Enrollment FAQ's

Are there other options for earning college credit while still enrolled in high school?
Yes! Post-Secondary Enrollment Option, or PSEO, is an option that allows high school students to take college courses, traditionally on the college campus. Travel is often required for students to take courses, and they are taken at the same time that they are also completing high school courses.

Advanced Placement, or AP, are courses which are taken at the high school but credit for a college course may be granted based on achievement of an acceptable score on a standardized test assessing your knowledge. There is no guarantee of earning college credit and often the test is described as being “high-stakes.”

Who can enroll in a concurrent enrollment course?

High school juniors and seniors are eligible for concurrent enrollment. Specific criteria must be met in order for a junior or senior to be accepted into the program. Please visit the admission criteria link on the right navigation for details.

What does it cost to take concurrent enrollment courses?
There is no cost! Other than the cost for personal supplies (notebook, folder, pen/pencil, flash drive, etc), the cost for concurrent enrollment is covered in full by the high school.

Text books, while normally the responsibility of the student in a traditional college course, are purchased by the high school. Therefore, at the end of the course, any materials loaned to you by your instructor (text books, manuals, etc) should be returned by the end of the term.

How do I register for my class(es)?

Once you’ve been admitted into the concurrent enrollment program, you are eligible to register for classes. Registration takes place at the high school during the registration period for the upcoming term. Once you have registered, Ridgewater will be notified and we will make sure your records are updated with your course selection(s).

How do I drop my course?

If you need to drop your concurrent enrollment course(s), you will first want to speak with your instructor and your guidance counselor. While these classes have higher expectations, sometimes your instructor or guidance counselor have resources available to you to help you best succeed in the course. If after meeting with your instructor and your guidance counselor you feel that dropping the course is the best option, please contact the Kelley McClure-Mork at 320-222-5210.

How is it possible for a high school teacher to be teaching a college course?
In order for someone to teach at the college level, specific criteria & credentials need to be met. This criteria is determined by the college and is verified through the appointment process.

In most classes, it requires a graduate level degree in the area in which they will teach. So, while it may seem strange that a high school teacher can teach college courses, their credentials are evaluated using the specific criteria the college has in place.

To ensure that your instructor is teaching the proper material, they have been paired with a Ridgewater College faculty member who teaches the same subject on campus. As their mentor, this faculty member will meet with them on a regular basis providing feedback and resources to them throughout the course.

Will the college credits I’ve earned in this course transfer to another school?
We have had a very high success rate of students being able to transfer their credits to a different college or university. However, because every college & university evaluates credits differently, it is important to keep your syllabus and coursework should you need to provide evidence of what was taught during the course.

If at any time you find that the credits you’ve earned are not accepted into the college or university you want to attend, please contact Ridgewater College and ask to speak with one of our Transfer Specialists.

I missed a few days of class and my instructor will not accept my missed assignments. My other high school instructors will accept my late work. Why isn’t it accepted in this class?
Keep in mind that this is a college course, even though it is being taught in the high school. Therefore, each instructor has the flexibility to run their class as they see fit. It is not uncommon in a college course for an instructor to not accept your work if it is late—regardless of the reason.
We encourage every student to read the syllabus carefully and be in consistent communication with your instructor. Should you know of a time that you’ll need to miss class, talk with your instructor to see if you can hand in your work early as not to miss any deadlines.
If an unavoidable absence happens, continue to work with your instructor. While exceptions can be made, it really is up to the instructor of the course to determine if late work will be accepted.

How do I view my final grade?

While you should have received notification in class of the final results of your course, you can always view your grade online at the Ridgewater College Website. To access your grades, click on the “Ridgewater Student eServices” link on the left navigation. From there you’ll be asked to enter your student ID and password. Once you have successfully logged in you will be able to view your grades.

If you feel that the grade that is posted is incorrect, please contact your instructor.


Ridgewater College is an equal opportunity employer and educator.